No announcement yet.

Lander and Field set-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe this is the correct interpretation; the robot must fit into the box when latched on lander.

Comment

Originally posted by 11343_Mentor View Post
      I believe this is the correct interpretation; the robot must fit into the box when latched on lander.
      Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my interpretation of the problem is:
      The robot sitting on all 4 wheels on the ground fits in the box. If we put the box over the robot the open side of the box is flush on the ground.
      Let's tip the robot 45 degrees up onto two wheels. (This is similar to the orientation of the robot hanging on the lander.)
      Now the inspector is insisting that the box must be placed over the robot such that the open side of the box must touch the ground at all points.
      (Not rotated 45 degrees to follow the angle of the robot.)
      The robot no longer fits and is claimed to be disallowed by the inspector.

I agree with earlier posts that this can't be right, but the OP must ask the question on the official forum so the ruling can be presented to the inspectors.
      Last edited by 3805Mentor; 11-19-2018, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post
        I agree with earlier posts that this can't be right, but the OP must ask the question on the official forum so the ruling can be presented to the inspectors.
        I also agree - I would think that if this were the case, there would be many robots that would not be able to play.

I'm sure the inspector was doing what he thought was correct & I'm glad they still let you play. But I also encourage the OP to ask for an official ruling. The next inspector who interprets it this way may cause a great disappointment for teams by making them start deployed.

Comment

I disagree with your assessment. The rules clearly state that the 18 inch cube applies when the robot is latched, and your interpretation is different from that. You would have to put your robot in this form factor when doing the preliminary form factor inspection, and it sounds like this is not being done.

Comment

It does have to meet the 18 inch cube requirement while hanging. However, the orientation of the cube is not mentioned in the game manual. That is the grey area that is currently left up to the discretion of the individual judges. An official clarification would remove the grey area. Have you asked the question yet on the official thread?

Comment

For what it's worth I have asked the question and worded to question the orientation of the sizing box. I asked if during sizing does the bottom of the sizing box remain parallel to the table that the box is on? If it does, then does the robot being put into the sizing box need to be placed into it in the orientation that it will be hanging or can the robot be placed into the sizing box with all 4 wheels on the ground as if it were on the playing field floor. Hopefully they answer it quickly as I know some questions of mine are taking and have taken over a week almost two weeks to answer.

Comment

Thanks for posting it to the official forum.
                Last edited by jedgington7880; 11-19-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Just an update. I asked the question about sizing on 11/19 and it is still sitting as Unapproved along with another question I asked on 11/8. I am not sure why it is taking so long to answer questions in the forums. Teams need these answers to help drive decisions moving forward.

Comment

Got a ruling today... A: Rule <RG02> states that the Robot must fit into an 18" x 18" x 18" cube. There is no requirement that the flat sides of the cube be parallel to the floor. As long as the Robot, when hanging, can fit inside the cube, it is legal. Some robots, when latched, may flex open. Teams must make sure that the Robot still fits into the cube in this flexed condition.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                      X