Lander and Field set-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lander and Field set-up

Our robot was designed to hang and lower itself during autonomous mode. At a recent competition, our robot was deemed to be lower than the 4 inch required height before the match started. It turns out that the lander handle height was off by 1/2 inch. The handle opening is 1.5 inches. We were told that the error in the setup/measurements can be as much as 1 inch. I understand this all to be true. The concern is that the hanging apparatus must be roughly 1/2 inch in order to support your robot and that leaves ABSOLUTELY no error room if the height is off by an inch. At half an inch, you programming and mechanics are off by 33% in reference to the opening. 1 inch is a 66% difference! Not to mention all codes and mechanics would then need to be adjusted if even possible for the 18 inch requirements. My question is: can we have a game specific rule/allowance to adjust the lander (handle) to the correct specification of 22 from the floor to the bottom of the handle prior to match play?
    Last edited by brent-johnston@ksd111.org; 11-09-2018, 04:02 PM.

Originally posted by brent-johnston@ksd111.org View Post
    Our robot was designed to hang and lower itself during autonomous mode. At a recent competition, our robot was deemed to be lower than the 4 inch required height before the match started. It turns out that the lander handle height was off by 1/2 inch. The handle opening is 1.5 inches. We were told that the error in the setup/measurements can be as much as 1 inch. I understand this all to be true. The concern is that the hanging apparatus must be roughly 1/2 inch in order to support your robot and that leaves ABSOLUTELY no error room if the height is off by an inch. At half an inch, you programming and mechanics are off by 33% in reference to the opening. 1 inch is a 66% difference! Not to mention all codes and mechanics would then need to be adjusted if even possible for the 18 inch requirements. My question is: can we have a game specific rule/allowance to adjust the lander (handle) to the correct specification of 22 from the floor to the bottom of the handle prior to match play?
    I have proposed an exception to Rule G26 for this specific measurement in the . No official response yet, but this is definitely something that should be addressed. Thank you for posting! I completely agree with what you have shared.

Comment

I do not have access to the official team login. Therefore, I can not "officially" ask this question. Two teams have posted about this issue already affecting their competitions. Perhaps, someone could ask it on the official game question portion.

1. Latched to the Lander - Robot is Completely Supported by their Alliance-specific side of the Lander with the following constraints:

a. The Robot must be Completely Supported by the Lander Support Bracket. Incidental contact with the Lander walls or the legs is allowed.

b. The lowest point on a Robot and Team Marker can be no closer than four (4) inches (102 mm) from the Playing Field Floor.

c. When Completely Supported by the Lander, Robots must be within the 18 inch x 18 inch x 18 inch (45.7 cm x 45.7 cm x 45.7 cm) starting volume constraint.

When the field is correctly set up, b an c are redundant. Rule G26 is the only reason a robot meeting the requirement for c would not meet the requirement for b. The original poster of this thread did a very good job of laying out the issue. Either an exception for Rule G26 should be made for this particular measurement (reducing the allowed variance to possibly 1/4 inch or so) or item b should be removed from "Latched to the Lander."

Comment

Working...
      X