Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Q: if robot doesn't move at all in game, can it score 20 points?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Q: if robot doesn't move at all in game, can it score 20 points?

I was an FTA at a league meet a few weeks ago, and the refs did not allow robots to score balancing points if the robot never moved at all during the game (most likely because disabled). Someone just asked me if they can score the balance points even if the robot moves a tiny bit but stays on the board during the whole game, or does it have to go off the board at some point?

And could you reference a game rule number with that? Thanks. (I couldn't post in the upper section for some reason, so posting here.)

This question has already been asked and answered in the official questions forum. The answer was 'yes' - a still-balancing robot that hasn't moved should be scored as twenty points.

Comment

Originally posted by 5294-jjkd View Post
      This question has already been asked and answered in the official questions forum. The answer was 'yes' - a still-balancing robot that hasn't moved should be scored as twenty points.
      https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/i...coring-answers

Post #5 here, okay, I missed it the first time. Thanks.

Comment

Just want to point out Rule G24 that mentions Disabled robots can't score, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboticsFun View Post
          Just want to point out Rule G24 that mentions Disabled robots can't score, so there's that.
          <G24> refers to robots disabled by a Referee, not just "non functioning" ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtemusMaximus View Post

<G24> refers to robots disabled by a Referee, not just "non functioning" ones.
            The whole situation is unclear. It would seem to most lay people that a disabled robot period will be disabled by a ref. I've been volunteering as FTA for a year, nonfunctioning is the same as disabled to me.

A ref told me at another event from this week that disabled-at-start robots are allowed to score those 20 points this year. Rule G24 should be clarified with that detail if it is that way (he refs at World Champs, so I'm sure he's talked with higher ups).

Comment

Originally posted by RoboticsFun View Post

The whole situation is unclear. It would seem to most lay people that a disabled robot period will be disabled by a ref. I've been volunteering as FTA for a year, nonfunctioning is the same as disabled to me.

A ref told me at another event from this week that disabled-at-start robots are allowed to score those 20 points this year. Rule G24 should be clarified with that detail if it is that way (he refs at World Champs, so I'm sure he's talked with higher ups).
              I think official Q/A is clear - I should be scored
              https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/i...3740#post53740

How it will be followed at the events, it's totally different story.

Originally posted by Mac McHale View Post
              Question: If a robot never moves during a match and is thus still balanced on the balancing stone at the end of the match, are the 20 points still awarded for being balanced on the balancing stone at end game?
              Answer: Yes.

Comment

If you're worried about getting beat 2 on 1 by the 20 points from dead robot you've got other problems to deal with. If you're stuck with a dead partner you've got your work cut out and will happy for the extra points. If you're competing against a dead robot it's already bad enough that your ranking points will suffer. This whole debate seems like a non-issue to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mlwilliams View Post
                  If you're worried about getting beat 2 on 1 by the 20 points from dead robot you've got other problems to deal with. If you're stuck with a dead partner you've got your work cut out and will happy for the extra points. If you're competing against a dead robot it's already bad enough that your ranking points will suffer. This whole debate seems like a non-issue to me.
                  Not worried about it, just giving feedback that this rule is confusing. I personally think they shouldn't even let disabled robots score at all, it should be zero, not 20. The game manual could easily clear this up by stating a "disabled at start robot" can score. There is no definition for that, and have seen different leagues do things different. There is no reason for that. My team doesn't have this issue, but the hundreds of pages of manuals can be frustrating, simplication and consistent rules would be nice for the students. That is my feedback to FTC. Would have posted this in the Game Q and A if I had access, but it doesn't have a post button there for whatever reason.
                  Last edited by RoboticsFun; 12-06-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I wish some of our alliance partners had stayed on the stone in our first qualifier a few weeks back. We had a rough draw - we faced one of our own sister bots, eventual #1, and eventual #3.
                    In 5 matches, are partners contributed 4, 2, 24, 64, and 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X