Control Hub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Hub Question

If for some reason a team preferred to use the phone, could they make use of the Control Hub in a similar fashion as they would use the Expansion Hub now?

Originally posted by ftcsachse0 View Post
    If for some reason a team preferred to use the phone, could they make use of the Control Hub in a similar fashion as they would use the Expansion Hub now?
    The Lynx PCB in the Control Hub can indeed function as a standalone device (i.e. an Expansion Hub) but whether that would be a competition-legal configuration is another matter...

Comment

Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

The Lynx PCB in the Control Hub can indeed function as a standalone device (i.e. an Expansion Hub) but whether that would be a competition-legal configuration is another matter...
      I would hope (maybe expect), that the legality would depend on if the device is legal. In other words, it wouldn't be legal competing in an area where the Control Hub isn't legal. But it would be legal within the regions that the Control Hub is legal (unless there is some means that a team could make use of both the phone and the hub's computing power). I was thinking more along the lines of putting the Control Hub as the second Expansion Hub and the phone connected to an Expansion hub though the USB.

Comment

Hi ftcsachse0

To answer your technical question, yes, you can disable the Control Hub's internal Android Controller so that the box acts like an Expansion Hub.

It's not recommended that you do this, but you can do so using the Android Debug Bridge utility (adb).

The online documentation includes instructions on how to disable/enable the internal Android Controller so that the Control Hub can be used as an Expansion Hub.

Once again, it's not recommended that you do this, but if you're interested in seeing how it's done, the instructions can be found in the following link:

Disabling/Enabling the Internal Android Controller

Comment

Thank you, I don't foresee any reason to do that, but wanted to check and see ahead of making the jump.

Comment

... I don't foresee any reason to do that, but wanted to check and see ahead of making the jump.
            If a CH team wants to participate in a non-legal region, they have to add a phone and replace their CH with an EH. Having to swap the CH with an EH is invasive and costly. Rather than having to swap the CH with an EH, the team should be allowed to simply put the CH in EH mode. Is there an LED color/pattern on the CH that would indicate that it is in EH mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post

If a CH team wants to participate in a non-legal region, they have to add a phone and replace their CH with an EH. Having to swap the CH with an EH is invasive and costly. Rather than having to swap the CH with an EH, the team should be allowed to simply put the CH in EH mode. Is there an LED color/pattern on the CH that would indicate that it is in EH mode?
              There's a lot of things the GDC should allow but doesn't.....

Comment

Note that REV strongly recommends that users do not disable the Android Controller on a Control Hub. I believe there's a chance you can have some unintended (and subtle) side effects with the built in expansion hub's serial address. As a general rule, it's better to use a Control Hub as a Control Hub and not as an Expansion Hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
                  Note that REV strongly recommends that users do not disable the Android Controller on a Control Hub. I believe there's a chance you can have some unintended (and subtle) side effects with the built in expansion hub's serial address. As a general rule, it's better to use a Control Hub as a Control Hub and not as an Expansion Hub.
                  Pulishing detailed instructions on how to use a Control Hub as an Expansion Hub seems like an unorthodox way of strongly recommending against it.

The limited legal regions were methodically selected by FIRST. Thus the teams in those regions are not so inept that they wouldn't thoroughly vet the feasibility of using a Control Hub as an Expansion Hub before attempting to do so at a tournament.

Comment

Most of the good teams having good programming capabilities to really test and provide feedback about CH experience are also the teams normally participate in different regions. FIRST should allow pilot region teams to continue using CH in non pilot region to get better data on pilot rollout.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC12676 View Post
                      ... FIRST should allow pilot region teams to continue using CH in non pilot region to get better data on pilot rollout.
                      CH regions have CH trained personnel at tournaments to help CH teams get their bots to work. Non-CH regions are not trained to help CH teams.

FIRST does not allow teams to participate in a tournament unless the tournament has trained personnel on hand to help teams get their bots to work.

Originally posted by FTC12676 View Post
                      Most of the good teams having good programming capabilities to really test and provide feedback about CH experience are also the teams normally participate in different regions...
                      True, but irrelevant

Comment

Working...
                      X