Driving Over the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Over the Mountain

For testing and for our Meet the Field we built a quick direct-drive bot with the 4" Tetrix Wheels. I was worried about traction on the mountain, but the non-skid tape makes a big difference. I was also surprised that going over the mountain did not alter the direction of the robot much if at all. Our robot went up and over every time without any problems. Gary Lindner - Coyote Robotics

That's some great news for rookie teams. No complex drive trains necessary!
    SAY-WATT.ORG

Comment

we attended a scrimmage a few weeks ago, and teams that used regular wheels had just as much success as teams who used drive trains. the drive train really isn't that complex to put together, and it provides a more stable robot, less likely to be flipped, whereas the tires might not always make it over the mountain, and many times, we noticed that they would be caught in between the mountain and the bridge.

either way, there was an equal success rate with the regular wheels and the drive train.

Comment

how long do you think a flimsy 4 wheel steer drivetrain will last against constant mountain crossings?

Comment

That depends on how flimsy it is. You could always stress test it: run it over the mountain lots of times, do a drop test, ram it into the wall, etc... The safest thing would be to strengthen it, though.
          SAY-WATT.ORG

Comment

HOLD IT! no skid tape? if i remember correctly, adhesives are not allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Spicey+Stripes View Post
              HOLD IT! no skid tape? if i remember correctly, adhesives are not allowed?
              The non-skid tape is on the mountian itself.
              Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
              FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
              FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
              ZRHS #89 Team K├╝hlschrank (2011-2013)
              ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
              ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
              Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
              --
              11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

Comment

Working...
              X