Question about lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lights

I know that you are not aloud to use lights that affect the robot, But are you aloud to use lights to signal because that would be affecting the player and not the robot?

First of all, this is an open forum, so all answers are unofficial and come from other FTC teams.

That said, rule <R03p> allows visible light LEDs and "connected circuitry". This is rather vague, so an official question would be good before soldering something together.

If you want to control the LEDs, take a look at rule <R03k>. The rules regarding custom circuitry is all spelled out there. <R03k1>, <R03k7>, and <R03k7> are the most pertinent. Visible light LEDs are 100% allowed (we have competed with them in the past), but I am not sure about IR LEDs or other special kinds. If you want something exotic, an official question is definitely in order. Good luck!
    FTC Team 4508
    E=MC Squirreled
    Github Repo: www.github.com/emcsquirreled/FTC-2012
    Lead Programmer and Electronics

Comment

If LEDs are allowed, can you use them for anything other decorative purposes? Can you use them to signal something?

Comment

Originally posted by NESI View Post
        If LEDs are allowed, can you use them for anything other decorative purposes? Can you use them to signal something?
        There have been several rulings on this on the official Q&A forum, so you might want to take a look at those. However, they seem to follow the common thread that LEDs can only be used for signaling if they are controlled by the HiTechnic prototyping board.
        Burning Lights Programming
        FLL Team 341 Brick Chick'N Boys - Programmer (2009-2010)
        FLL Team 263 Brainy Bricks - Programmer (2010-2011)
        FLL Team 5028 Fellowship of the Brick - Youth Mentor (2011-2012)
        FTC Team 6100 Chariots of Fire - Programmer (2012-2013)
        FTC Team 7468 Blue Chariots of Fire - Programmer (2013-2014)
        FTC Team 7468 Blue Chariots of Fire - Mentor/Coach (2014-2017)

Comment

You could also save yourself the trouble and use the "old" LEGO LED lights (the ones that hook up to the motor outputs), those are legal LEGO parts.

I know it's nowhere near as cool, but if all you need is an indicator, they do work.
          -jquigley
          FTC Team #5818 "BOTtering Rams" (Ring it Up!)

Comment

There was a short discussion about this over on the RobotC forums. Here's the thread:

http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5460

Comment

Besides LED lights are we allowed to use Spiral telephone cable. Its kinda off topic but I dont know where tp post this question.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC5694 View Post
                Besides LED lights are we allowed to use Spiral telephone cable. Its kinda off topic but I dont know where tp post this question.
                You already have a thread on this topic. Please do not cross-post and hijack other threads.
                FTC Team 4508
                E=MC Squirreled
                Github Repo: www.github.com/emcsquirreled/FTC-2012
                Lead Programmer and Electronics

Comment

Working...
                X