Fate of this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of this forum

Mods, I know this isn't the right location for this, but, what happens to this forum on kickoff? Does it get wiped? Do only the game-specific sections get wiped? Do only the moderated sections get wiped? Will my account still exist?

I think the accounts should stay around, because a user's post count is an important measure of his or her trustworthiness and accuracy. A post on a thread by a user with a high post count should be seen as reputable (not to say posts by a first-timer are not to be trusted).
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team K├╝hlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

Originally posted by Skinkworks View Post
    Mods, I know this isn't the right location for this, but, what happens to this forum on kickoff? Does it get wiped? Do only the game-specific sections get wiped? Do only the moderated sections get wiped? Will my account still exist?

I think the accounts should stay around, because a user's post count is an important measure of his or her trustworthiness and accuracy. A post on a thread by a user with a high post count should be seen as reputable (not to say posts by a first-timer are not to be trusted).
    That's a great question! The Get Over It! Game Q&A will be closed for posting but will remain open for viewing (it'll just appear at the bottom of the page). The Community Forum will remain, although I'll probably rename this particular section (Talk about the Game) so it's game specific and start a new one for the new game.

Accounts that were generated by our TIMS system (like 2010FTC1000) will be reset with new passwords and new account numbers that start with 2011. Accounts that users set up on their own will continue to exist unless they've not been used in a year (we purge those). The difference is that TIMS generated user accounts are the only accounts you can use to ask a question on the official Game Q&A (you can use those anywhere on this forum), and accounts that you create yourself (like Skinworks) can be used to post to the other parts of the forum but not to the official Game Q&A forum. So your post count will remain unless you hibernate for a year, or use your 2010FTCXXXX account to post everywhere.

I'll work on finding a solution that allows teams to keep their TIMS assigned user accounts the same each year so post counts are retained.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Comment

Thank you for the excellent response. I think it would be a good idea to be able to tie a non-TIMS account to a FTC team, giving it posting privileges on the moderated forums.

Also, I think the forums need to be mentioned at kickoff as a resource for teams, in addition to its rule clarification. Many common problems were addressed in the open section of the forum that could help teams.
      Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
      FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
      FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
      ZRHS #89 Team K├╝hlschrank (2011-2013)
      ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
      ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
      Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
      --
      11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

Comment

It would be nice if my postcount and posthistory from this account could be saved, rather than deleted. Since this was the only Q & A capable account I have, I made all my posts from here, even in the non QA forums.

At the very least, let us create QA-permissioned accounts with custom (or non-year dependent) names.

Comment

Originally posted by 2010FTC3053 View Post
          It would be nice if my postcount and posthistory from this account could be saved, rather than deleted. Since this was the only Q & A capable account I have, I made all my posts from here, even in the non QA forums.

At the very least, let us create QA-permissioned accounts with custom (or non-year dependent) names.
          Thanks 2010FTC3053, we're working on this and hope to have a solution that we can put in place before kickoff.

Comment

Glad to hear it. One more reason I can't wait until kickoff.

Comment

Working...
            X