Cost of building competition field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of building competition field?

What would be the rough cost of building this year's game field from scratch?

Without buying the floor tiles or the field perimeter, it cost our team a little over $100. We also didn't buy the corrugated material for the stationary goal but priced that at about $20.

Comment

Do you believe the field perimeter to be necessary for the practice field? It's mighty pricey at Andy Mark.

Comment

It'd be a good idea to go ahead and get it. You'll be using it in future years, so it's not a waste of money. However, if you really are short on funds, you could make a decent one out of wood. The specs can be found here and also in the detailed field drawings: http://ftcforum.usfirst.org/showthre...-Playing-Field

Comment

I can vouch for the "PVC and hardwood" alternative - our team's field perimeter consists of 3/4" PVC and elbows, and masonite panels zip tied into the masonite.

On another note, I made my own DIY IR Beacon last year, to offset the cost of having to buy them. It used an attiny25v microcontroller, 4 IR LEDs, 2 transistors, a 9v battery connector, a small piece of perfboard, and some clever, yet simple, programming. One way or another, the end goal is to pulse the IR LEDs with a 1200 Hz square wave. We implemented an 85% duty cycle, also known as "bursting" the LEDs, to increase the range.
          Ray Kholodovsky
          Electronics Department,
          Lancer Robotics Team #3415

Comment

Working...
          X