WARNING! Infrared cameras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING! Infrared cameras

While doing some adjustments to our autonomous program at our tournament this past weekend one of our parents was taking pictures with his Nikon DSLR camera. During one of our runs through the program our robot randomly picked up an IR signal. Well turns out its not random. It took a few tries but we were able to make it happen again. The IR light on some cameras can actually be recognized by the hiTechnic sensors. We warned the officials at our qualifier tournament but nothing was said to the audience. I will be making sure to say something to the officials at the championship tournament in February. Just a heads up to perhaps ask your audience to avoid using their cameras during the autonomous period during tournaments. If anyone else has found this or wants to try let me know what you find out. (I don't have a nice enough camera.)

Good luck everyone!!

Kilabots 5020

That's why we put cardboard power-towel tubes over our IRs. Their field of vision is only directly ahead.

Comment

Duct tape also works
      Lead programmer for FTC team #6424, the 'Oly Cow.
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...60019847470634

Comment

That's an interesting idea. Do you mean, you put the paper towel tube around it to sort of create a shield around it? Does that not interfere with it picking up what you want it to?

How did you use duct tape?

Thanks!

Comment

You can just wrap duct tape around the sensor in a tube-like configuration. I don't know about LabView, but with RobotC and Xander's drivers you can choose which of the 5 sensors to read from.
          Lead programmer for FTC team #6424, the 'Oly Cow.
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...60019847470634

Comment

LabVIEW and IR reads

Originally posted by Ernest314 View Post
            You can just wrap duct tape around the sensor in a tube-like configuration. I don't know about LabView, but with RobotC and Xander's drivers you can choose which of the 5 sensors to read from.
            It is possible to see the 5 reads from the 5 sensors and make decisions based on those RAW values. However, we have found it necessary to use rubberbands to wrap around the IR Seeker to block the 'rear' sensors when we wanted to ignore that input. So far, it just seems to work best with that approach.

Comment

Working...
            X