How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Thread: dead motor all of sudden

dead motor all of sudden

We had a motor stop working all of sudden during our last tournament and can't figure out how to get it working. All of the other motors were still operating perfectly. We have checked out he motor controller and motor and they are okay. However, an interesting thing happened today when we were working on the robot trying to diagnose our problem. We blew a fuse to the battery and wondered if it was related to our problem. We need help trying to figure it out. Has anyone have any ideas. We are trying to get ready for a state championship next weekend. I have never seen just one motor stop working like this. We greatly appreciate the help.

We had a similiar issue- might be to much static electricity-esp if the robot is heavy, . We added a ground wire to the bottom of the robot- we drag a small metal gear. You can check the voltage on the motor- the fuses pop at 2.6 volts (i think) and if there is a big surge- like on a turn- you migt be popping a fuse- the fuse shuuld reset but it could be damaged- replace the fuse and see what happens?
    Good luck

motor not responding

Quote Originally Posted by FTC3785 View Post
    We had a similiar issue- might be to much static electricity-esp if the robot is heavy, . We added a ground wire to the bottom of the robot- we drag a small metal gear. You can check the voltage on the motor- the fuses pop at 2.6 volts (i think) and if there is a big surge- like on a turn- you migt be popping a fuse- the fuse shuuld reset but it could be damaged- replace the fuse and see what happens?
    Good luck
    Thanks for the post. We are still having some problems. I switched the wires to different motor port on the motor controller and the motor works, but what I switched does not work. Can a motor port on a motor controller just go bad? What causes that? If you have anything to share, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks bunches.

I believe individual motor ports can go bad. Technically, it makes sense, you could have blown one MOSFET (or whatever they're driving the motors with). Plus, I think I've seen it happen before.
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team Kühlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

Last year, we had numerous problems with motors in competition and practice. The motors are prone to shutting down for a variety of reasons, such as, over heating, the gears inside breaking (from an obstruction to motor movement when the motor is attempting to run), and the gears breaking when attempting to remove an axle hub that was accidentally placed on the motor. Overall, I would recommend having some back up motors ready to install.

Quote Originally Posted by dkline39 View Post
    the gears inside breaking
    We've seen a good bit of this. The easiest way to tell if this has happened is if the output shaft wiggles around if you grab it.
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team Kühlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.