How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Posts created to sell a product or service are not permitted and will be deleted!

Thread: is there any more training support for Blocks?

is there any more training support for Blocks?

i've already gone through the training manual and the videos mentioned in the first post. Is there anything else, like maybe the "HELP" section that fails to come up when it is pressed in programming mode? i'm having no luck guessing how to use blocks for elapsed time (i don't want to "sleep" and ignore gamepad input!) and several other blocks

Technology Expert
    If you ask a specific question here on this forum, I (and others) will try to help.

Do you want to check the elapsed time during certain points in your opmode?

When i ran into difficulty moving forward with Blocks Programming i switched to App Inventor, since it's been around longer i figured it would have more support available and they are Graphic so they are both intuitive (well not so much). But similar they are! i found Bruce Shafer's App Inventor videos and started to have some success understanding getRunTime - startTime = elapsed time (without using any <ElapsedTimeObjects> at all). Then i understood using encoders and turning... Thanks Bruce, much obliged! However, my pc WILL NOT talk to the phone over usb, with/without ADB, so i can't download .apk's. Blocks Programming's little private wifi net works fine though so i can download .blk's to the phone quick as Bob's your uncle.

So, what's the difference between Blocks and Inventor? Looks they are both based on Blockly but Inventor is compiled and Blocks seems interpreted. Blocks seems to require less boilerplate like WaitOneMachineCycle to make it work and is more automatic like not requiring a manual build of config or loading the FtcController block everytime and erasing the old opMode everytime. And then there's loading the VM (gag). Then there was some helpfull hint somewhere that wanted me to load Visual Studio so i could compile an .sln (gag, choke, drool) compared to 'type this ip adx in Chrome'. So i'm thinking Blocks is pretty sweet, but what kind of trouble can i get into using Inventor as my sample? And how do i display snippets here so ya'll kin say "Nope, that duck won't hunt!"

Quote Originally Posted by jdoorly View Post
    When i ran into difficulty moving forward with Blocks Programming i switched to App Inventor, since it's been around longer i figured it would have more support available and they are Graphic so they are both intuitive (well not so much). But similar they are! i found Bruce Shafer's App Inventor videos and started to have some success understanding getRunTime - startTime = elapsed time (without using any <ElapsedTimeObjects> at all). Then i understood using encoders and turning... Thanks Bruce, much obliged! However, my pc WILL NOT talk to the phone over usb, with/without ADB, so i can't download .apk's. Blocks Programming's little private wifi net works fine though so i can download .blk's to the phone quick as Bob's your uncle.

So, what's the difference between Blocks and Inventor? Looks they are both based on Blockly but Inventor is compiled and Blocks seems interpreted. Blocks seems to require less boilerplate like WaitOneMachineCycle to make it work and is more automatic like not requiring a manual build of config or loading the FtcController block everytime and erasing the old opMode everytime. And then there's loading the VM (gag). Then there was some helpfull hint somewhere that wanted me to load Visual Studio so i could compile an .sln (gag, choke, drool) compared to 'type this ip adx in Chrome'. So i'm thinking Blocks is pretty sweet, but what kind of trouble can i get into using Inventor as my sample? And how do i display snippets here so ya'll kin say "Nope, that duck won't hunt!"
    Glad you like my App Inventor videos! I'm currently focusing my energies on Blocks Programming because I can get things done more quickly because there's no Build-Download-Install step each time I make a change. In addition, Blocks Programming already has more features than FTC App Inventor. You're right; it's interpreted rather than machine code but I haven't found any cases where that makes a difference yet. We're building a series of short videos an adding them to the Blocks Programming playlist -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...v&pbjreload=10 We should be adding have several more soon.

There may be a way of posting App Inventor or Blocks code here directly but I haven't seen it. What I've seen people do is use PrtSc to save a screen shot, upload the screen shot to Google Drive, Dropbox or Box and then paste a link into a Forum post.

...Bruce