How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Posts created to sell a product or service are not permitted and will be deleted!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB Surge Protection

Frank- Thanks for sharing. Would you be willing or able to send us pictures of the setup you are discussing? I can send you my e-mail address as well if you would like.

Roy- We purchased one of those surge protectors (The 12" Version since it was the shortest) last week. We just installed it on the USB cable going from the PDM to the phone in hopes that if we have an ESD event on a module that it would prevent that ESD event from getting to the phone and crashing the app or freezing it. Do you use one of those on each module or just on the USB cable going to the phone?

Thanks!

I think this will show the picture of our corona discharge devices

Here is what we made. They are about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. The solder keeps them from unraveling.

Frank Bernett

Frank- The image didn't seem to show up on our end. Can you try attaching it again? Thanks!

The forum software just can't handle the link as a picture because it's not directly to a picture but to a web page.

Try this link

CoachZM,
    We used just a single one of the LCom surge protectors, in the USB line between the phone and the PDM.
    --RoyM
    Coach, FTC9915

Thanks for all of the input. We have since added USB surge protection between the PDM and phone. We wipe our robot down with Staticide before each match and make sure the field is sprayed. With those conditions we have had no issues.

Our concern for the North Super Regionals is we were just informed that they will be using NO ESD prevention measures on their fields. They are only recommending teams do all they can to prevent ESD themselves. We are now looking into some of the other suggestions from Frank and from past seasons where teams have used Copper tape to help eliminate ESD issues.

If anyone has any other suggestions in regards to using copper tape than what we have found online then please share! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123