How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Posts created to sell a product or service are not permitted and will be deleted!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Size

We had 10 members and are looking to add 2 more to become a comfortable dozen. I am wondering if there are any size limitations for teams stipulated by US FIRST ?

Supro Ghose
    TEAM ROBOWIZ
    Fairfax, VA

No, there aren't any hard restrictions like there are in FLL. 10 is the suggested maximum, but you can certainly have more (one team we've heard of had over 30!). We had around a dozen members last season, and we're likely to expand somewhat this year. So, my advice: if you can accommodate the additional members, by all means add them.

Number of Students on a Team

FTC has a recommended maximum of 10 students because it's difficult to engage a larger number of students in a build process for an 18x18 robot. It's good to keep in mind that most event organizers plan for about 10 students per team. What that means is that the pits may not be large enough to accommodate a team with 30 students, and that in the awards ceremony, a larger team may only receive 10 or 12 medallions (if they are a member of the Finalist Alliance, the Winning Alliance or the Inspire Award winning team).

I agree that more than 10 is difficult and fewer than 7 can be hard, given a long season with 8 to 10 events and somebody is always sick or away.

Ok, I'm glad to hear that one team had 30 members. I am not allowed to turn away students so I had a group of 22 at the beginning of the school year.

Quote Originally Posted by FTC7155 View Post
    Ok, I'm glad to hear that one team had 30 members. I am not allowed to turn away students so I had a group of 22 at the beginning of the school year.
    Wow! 22 students is a lot. At the end of the season, would you be willing to share your experiences with us? We're seeing a few teams with significantly more than 10 students and we'd love to be able to offer some of your best practices to rookie coaches with large teams in the future.

We have about 14 members with several set roles (Co-Captains, Programmers, Spokesperson, etc.). The rest are roles that can be shared and utilized as needed. Good luck everyone!

We have a rookie team of 5, a normal team of 6, and the three Techs
    Everyone has a roll in the team
    Lead Builder
    Programer
    Forum Guy(nickname passwurd of "Sideburns")
    Rule Keeper
    Scribe
    Helping Hand

We've had a large team recently, with about 15 members at most of our events last year.

When we found we had about 15 returning people, we split into two teams (4326 and 7890), putting the new members on 7890.

We've found that 15 members can be hard to manage, although it's doable.
    Basement Lions FTC Robotics Team #4236: Founding Member and Leader
    Space Lions FTC Robotics Team #7890: Mentor (sister team to 4326)

Basement Lions and Space Lions Website

We have about 20 people on 2 teams!
    We have about 6 programmers, 11 builders, 4 people working on the journal, and I'm doing media, photos, and rules. Its kind of confusing, some people are building and writing the journal and others are strictly building, others are strictly programming. Because we have so many people there are people who go back and forth, if that makes any sense...
    AvantiRobotics

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast