How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Size

I have 12 members in my productive team.. We have assigned task respectively as designing programming etc.

We are a small team compared to others. We only have 3 people right now, maybe 4.. This year we are all doing the programming of the robot, (Im the lead programmer and builder right now), because this is my last year. Right now, one is learning RobotC, and the other is trying out labview. (I use RobotC). Building wise, this year we are trying a new way of building the robot, with a CAD design first, and then building the robot, which as of right now is working out better than our strategy in the past. We have over half of the robot built and prototypes built and working.

We're a rookie team of 5. Two programmers, and three engineers.

There are 7 of us now! We are glad to welcome our new programmer, hopefully his participation in our team will boost our progress.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010FTC4129 View Post
    We claim to be the smallest team in the competition this year, as it consists of just two people: a designer and programmer.
    We have three: head builder, head programmer (posting), and head driver. We all pitch in for building to some degree, we all test the robot, we all took turns driving at a scrimmage (the third member acted as "coach"), and we all write in the notebook.

We have 10 fully active members, with two tentative new recruits (w/in the last 2 weeks). Two of the members are middle schoolers. We have defined "subteams," I guess. Build team, programming team, and outreach team. There's 6 on the build team, 2 on the programming team (I'm one of them) and 2 doing outreach/getting on the rest of us to put stuff in the notebook. It's a good split, and everyone has equal work.
    -jquigley
    FTC Team #5818 "BOTtering Rams" (Ring it Up!)

@jquigley - Out of curiosity, how is the work distributed between the programming and build teams? It would seem to me that a lot of what the programmers do relies on already having a robot built. Is writing the autonomous the main focus of the programming team, and if not, what is? Who on the team is responsible for design and CAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparbots View Post
    @jquigley - Out of curiosity, how is the work distributed between the programming and build teams? It would seem to me that a lot of what the programmers do relies on already having a robot built. Is writing the autonomous the main focus of the programming team, and if not, what is? Who on the team is responsible for design and CAD?
    The build team is almost entirely focused on the robot. They are all very good with their hands and are amazing at what they do. Us programmers have an innate knowledge of the wiring of the controllers (mainly due to prior screw-ups programming, :P), and we also give input on various parts when they need it, but for the most part we focus on programming. Often we tell the build team what concerns we might have with whatever idea they come up with, and tell them things to consider about sensors and such. We found, actually, that as long as you know what the general setup of the robot is or will be (ie, how many motors? servos? Omniwheels? what do they control?) you have mostly what you need, so the build team made sure to make these calls early on so we could get programming.
    These decisions carried across all revisions of the robot. When we decided after a qualifier in which our rear ends were handed to us that the robot needed a complete redesign, the robot kept the 4-wheel design and arm, and the lift was still powered by two motors, just like on the last robot. When we went to another qualifier earlier last month, we did very well, qualifying twice for regionals.
    I'm in charge of autonomous and the other is in charge of teleop- this isn't a strict assignment, and we both often at least look over the other's code, usually helping each other. It balances out nicely. We don't do a lot with CAD, but the build team uses it when initially designing the robot, mostly to get ideas down clearly and have a good sense of scale when building it.

We're a rookie team this year, and still feeling things out as to what's good and what's bad, but this team setup seems to work well for us. Each member does what he/she knows and loves, and it shows when we go to competition.
    -jquigley
    FTC Team #5818 "BOTtering Rams" (Ring it Up!)

We have 12 fully functioning members :P

Our team is composed of 6 students while they all have input to designing, building, and programming each student brings their own skill-set to the table. This allows for them to work cohesively while still having the opportunity to showcase what they do best.
    Anthony Barrera
    Crowell HS Robotics

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast