How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Posts created to sell a product or service are not permitted and will be deleted!

Thread: Inconsistent Execution of our Autonomous Program

Inconsistent Execution of our Autonomous Program

Hello FTC friends,

We have recently switched from App Inventor to the Blocks Programming tool and we are very happy to not have to unplug and replug during our programming .

Problem:
    We have our teleop program working well however, we are having a lot of trouble with the consistency of our autonomous program. There are times we can't even get our Gyro sensor to Calibrate in the Init phase. other times only one of our 4 motored wheels runs and it just continually runs. Sometimes it works almost as designed.

Solutions?:
    I am wondering if with the Blocks Programming Tool is like the App inventor and doesn't like multiple FTC programs on a Robot Controller. We have both a robot controller apk from App Inventor that is running our teleop program. But our teleop program (we designed in BPT (Blocks Programming Tool) which is nearly identical to the AI (App Inventor) program, isn't working.

Now when we try even the first basic function on our autonomous program (first turn with Encoders), the robot doesn't run at all (not even the Gyro sensor calibrate in the "init" phase (most of the time). Help !!!

Does having multiple programs, robots (we have a community service robot also), and multiple sets of phones (we now have 3 sets of RC/DS) be an issue? Also how does it work if I want to put the program we designed on our "B" set of phones onto our new "C" set of phones? We just recently got our 3rd set because unplugging and replugging the wire for a season and a half wore out our phones connection.

Thank you for your help ,

Jack Dodge

PI Robotics #7483
    Colorado

You can copy your blocks programming to another phone by copying the folder "/sdcard/FIRST/blocks" to your other robot controller phone. But you may have to resort to adb to do so. Multiple programs shouldn't be an issue however. I can poke around, and see if anything happens.

Technology Expert
    You should never have more than one robot controller app installed on a phone. It doesn't matter whether the app(s) are downloaded from the Play Store, built with Android Studio, or built with App Inventor.

If you are only using blocks programming, then you can simply use the robot controller app from the Play Store.
    If you want to use some op modes that you wrote in Java and some in blocks programming, then you can build the robot controller app with Android Studio and also use blocks programming with that app.
    If you want to use some op modes that you write in App Inventor and some in blocks programming, then you can build the robot controller app with App Inventor and also use blocks programming with that app.

I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade 17 View Post
    You should never have more than one robot controller app installed on a phone. It doesn't matter whether the app(s) are downloaded from the Play Store, built with Android Studio, or built with App Inventor.

If you are only using blocks programming, then you can simply use the robot controller app from the Play Store.
    If you want to use some op modes that you wrote in Java and some in blocks programming, then you can build the robot controller app with Android Studio and also use blocks programming with that app.
    If you want to use some op modes that you write in App Inventor and some in blocks programming, then you can build the robot controller app with App Inventor and also use blocks programming with that app.

I hope that makes sense.
    Comrade 17, I hate to correct you, but I believe it is impossible to install the FTC Robot Controller more than once, because all of the variants (Android Studio, App Inventor, Play Store) have the same package id (com.qualcomm.ftcrobotcontroller). In Android, APKs with the same package id can other be "upgraded" if they were signed with the same key, or the package must be removed before the new package can be installed.

PIJack, does your usage of "programs" refer to the Robot Controller app itself or to the Blocks OpMode programs?

Technology Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dmssargent View Post
    Comrade 17, I hate to correct you, but I believe it is impossible to install the FTC Robot Controller more than once, because all of the variants (Android Studio, App Inventor, Play Store) have the same package id (com.qualcomm.ftcrobotcontroller). In Android, APKs with the same package id can other be "upgraded" if they were signed with the same key, or the package must be removed before the new package can be installed.

PIJack, does your usage of "programs" refer to the Robot Controller app itself or to the Blocks OpMode programs?

Thanks dmssargent! You are correct.

FTC Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PIJack View Post
    Hello FTC friends,

We have recently switched from App Inventor to the Blocks Programming tool and we are very happy to not have to unplug and replug during our programming .

Problem:
    We have our teleop program working well however, we are having a lot of trouble with the consistency of our autonomous program. There are times we can't even get our Gyro sensor to Calibrate in the Init phase. other times only one of our 4 motored wheels runs and it just continually runs. Sometimes it works almost as designed.

Solutions?:
    I am wondering if with the Blocks Programming Tool is like the App inventor and doesn't like multiple FTC programs on a Robot Controller. We have both a robot controller apk from App Inventor that is running our teleop program. But our teleop program (we designed in BPT (Blocks Programming Tool) which is nearly identical to the AI (App Inventor) program, isn't working.

Now when we try even the first basic function on our autonomous program (first turn with Encoders), the robot doesn't run at all (not even the Gyro sensor calibrate in the "init" phase (most of the time). Help !!!

Does having multiple programs, robots (we have a community service robot also), and multiple sets of phones (we now have 3 sets of RC/DS) be an issue? Also how does it work if I want to put the program we designed on our "B" set of phones onto our new "C" set of phones? We just recently got our 3rd set because unplugging and replugging the wire for a season and a half wore out our phones connection.

Thank you for your help ,

Jack Dodge

PI Robotics #7483
    Colorado
    Jack,

Could you post a picture of the op mode or make your .blk file available somewhere to take a look at it?

There shouldn't be any issue with having multiple op modes that were generated by different tools (Blocks, App Inventor, Android Studio) on your phone.

I am wondering if there are some issues in your autonomous code which might be causing issues.

Any easy way to transfer Blocks op modes from phone to phone is to save the block op mode onto your laptop and then upload the block op mode to your new phone. The blocks server should support this function.

Tom