How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Posts created to sell a product or service are not permitted and will be deleted!

Thread: FTC has a horribly messed up website.

FTC has a horribly messed up website.

So,

I signed up for an event - supposedly paid for it with a grant from First in Texas. I used a third-party website for this. The team went to the event. Went to First website and noticed this new login. Didn't know if my login would work, so I tried my old account information anyway. Everything is a check, except for a giant X for events. Everything else says coming soon. I can't click on anything or change anything. And it basically gives me no information. I click on a information tab and get a ton of PDFs which are not organized well enough to be of any use.

Is that it? No acknowledgement of our team even going to an event? No way to correct this?

It seems to me like $500 for a single event. Is that more or less true?

It seems to me like there is some private clique that I'm suppose to be a part of?

I don't know. The BEST competition seems more open and friendly. However, 6-week deadline is not really something my team can really handle. Not to mention, It's so short it's over before it starts.

I'll probably stick with FTC. The organization just makes little sense to me.

FTC has a horribly messed up website.

Quote Originally Posted by hilltrot View Post
    So,

I signed up for an event - supposedly paid for it with a grant from First in Texas. I used a third-party website for this. The team went to the event. Went to First website and noticed this new login. Didn't know if my login would work, so I tried my old account information anyway. Everything is a check, except for a giant X for events. Everything else says coming soon. I can't click on anything or change anything. And it basically gives me no information. I click on a information tab and get a ton of PDFs which are not organized well enough to be of any use.

Is that it? No acknowledgement of our team even going to an event? No way to correct this?

It seems to me like $500 for a single event. Is that more or less true?

It seems to me like there is some private clique that I'm suppose to be a part of?

I don't know. The BEST competition seems more open and friendly. However, 6-week deadline is not really something my team can really handle. Not to mention, It's so short it's over before it starts.

I'll probably stick with FTC. The organization just makes little sense to me.

Hello hilltrot,

First, thanks for your feedback - I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the new website.

We've asked our web content manager gurus to have the "events" indicator removed from FIRST Tech Challenge team dashboards, since our teams register and pay for the events they attend locally. The events indicator is misleading because it suggests that you can do those things through us here, through FIRST systems. You should be able to click on a little pencil icon to edit the information that displays about your team - but keep in mind that the information on the dashboard reflects the information in your TIMS account (or your VIMS account, in the future).

What we're aiming for is an easy to use dashboard experience for our community. What will happen (going forward, and as connections to our other systems are made), is that you should log in to the website, and your teams, your volunteer opportunities, and your favorites (any document that you've Favorited) will show up on your dashboard.

We do know that it'll take time to build a resource that is awesome for everyone, and we hope that you continue to offer feedback so that we know what we're getting right, and what we could improve.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!

JoAnn

The new website is awful and hard to navigate. Too many doors to go through to get to location needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FTC9505 View Post
    The new website is awful and hard to navigate. Too many doors to go through to get to location needed.
    Thanks for your feedback FTC9505. I've found that after I created a login and started to favorite the things that were important to me, the site became much more user friendly (at least to me). Have you tried to do that yet, and do you think that would help at all?

Thanks again,

JoAnn

The new first Website is nearly completely dedicated to getting started, and rookie teams. Right now my veteran team has no reason to even go near that website. All the info on the site is hard to get to and nearly useless for anyone except rookies. Perhaps making the new site more Veteran friendly would be advisable.

Using favorites helps a lot for using the docs, etc. that I use most often. With persistence, I "think" I have found what I need. I put those quotes in intentionally. The disorganization of the resource library makes it completely unlikely that I will stumble across something useful that I didn't already know should be there. Finding something good and unexpected used to happen quite frequently with the old website.