How do I Post to the Game Q&A Forum?

Welcome to the FTC Game Q&A Forum! If this is your first time here, please refer to the Instructions for Forum Use section before posting.

Thank you!

Thread: Motors

Motors

Being new in FTC , i have inquires about the limitation of motors.

3. No more than three (3) NXT Motors may be used.
    1. No more than eight (8) TETRIX 12V DC drive Motors.
    Does that mean that my robot can use 11 motors ? Can someone help me ? i am new to FTC

You can use 11 motors, you can also use up to 12 Servo motors.
    But you can only use 4 motor controllers, meaning if you have 8 DC motors, you cannot have any servos (each DC motor controller hooks up 2 DC motors)

On the other hand, each servo motor controller hooks up 6 servos, so having 1 servo motor controller and 3 DC motor controllers gives you 6 DC motors and 6 Servo motors.

the 3 NXT motors do not hook up to motor controllers at all, they just plug directly into the NXT.

O , okay .
    That is amazing , sorry i am new , its our first year here so i just joined in .
    I have not seen the parts but can you roughly tell me how you attach the metal to the nxt motor since the sets are a combination ?
    Simply to say , how am i able to mount my NXT motor on the robot since they both uses different connectors or some sort

Sort Of

On the other hand, each servo motor controller hooks up 6 servos, so having 1 servo motor controller and 3 DC motor controllers gives you 6 DC motors and 6 Servo motors.
    Since you can actually connect two servos to each port, and two motors to each port that theoretically (with the 1/3 arrangement described) allows up to 12 DC Motors and 12 servos. It is very common for the drive train to have two motors per side, with those two wired in parallel -- additionally, two servos per port can offer redundancy and extra power.

With that thought you could easily have four drive motors (one controller), four motors for everything else needing power (two more controllers), 12 servos (one controller - 6 servo ports - each doubled), and 6 E or M power LEGO motors (new this year -- <R5.b.3.c/d>) for a whopping total of 24 "motors" on your robot.

Then you get to sensors...

I have not seen the parts but can you roughly tell me how you attach the metal to the nxt motor since the sets are a combination ?
    Simply to say , how am i able to mount my NXT motor on the robot since they both uses different connectors or some sort
    There is a TETRIX piece which allows you to mount LEGO pieces to the robot easily. Also, just running screws through the NXT motor holes is an effective way of holding the motors in place.
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team Kühlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

We are trying to make our robot 4 wheel drive right now. We have all of the DC motors hooked up, but we've wired two motors into one port. Is this legal? Will hardware inspection make us change it? Is there a better way to create 4 wheel drive?

Not only is it legal, it is proven and recommended. Light duty motors can be wired three to a port, I believe (Don't quote me on this).
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team Kühlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

We have been having issues with our motors... basically, the gearheads have been breaking. We currently have the medium sized gear mounted to the motor, and a small gear on the wheel/axle. Is anyone else having this issue? Or, has anyone solved the issue of blowing up motors? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We have been having issues with our motors... basically, the gearheads have been breaking. We currently have the medium sized gear mounted to the motor, and a small gear on the wheel/axle.
    Try switching the gears. I would never use anything faster than a 1:1 ratio for a drivetrain, for anything faster is hard to control and, as you have seen, can damage motors. Slower, stronger, and safer sounds like the way to go to me...
    FTC Team 4508
    E=MC Squirreled
    Github Repo: www.github.com/emcsquirreled/FTC-2012
    Lead Programmer and Electronics